NOTICE: Blue River Horse Center is in compliance with all Summit County Public Health "Business Social Distancing Protocol" regulations.
Become part of an amazing group of dedicated people who love helping kids, adults and horses. BRHC volunteers assist in educational programs and learn to evaluate and rehabilitate rescued horses so they may find forever homes. We offer training for our volunteers who come to us from all levels of experience (free as part of the BRHC Membership Program - see more below).
Our educational programs provide experiential learning with horses that assist us in teaching communication, self-awareness and leadership skills. Since horses have a natural ability to show us things about ourselves that we may not be aware of, it allows us to make immediate corrections so we can be more successful at applying these techniques to our human relationships. Many of you who have experienced this at the ranch have shared how this knowledge has had a positive effect on your lives, especially in your relationships with others.
Volunteering Three Ways - You Pick!
- Ranch Programs - learn more
- ReSaddled Thrift Store - learn more
- Operations - learn more (Marketing, fundraising, grant writing, websites, etc.)
BRHC Membership Program for Volunteers
We encourage all volunteers and supporters of Blue River Horse Center to become annual members of BRHC.
- Membership covers all your classes for the season (May thru October)
- Work one-on-one with our seasoned horse handlers to expand your skills
- Rehabilitate fostered rescued horses with the goal of their being adopted
- No minimum or maximum of hours that you may volunteer
- One free trail ride or riding lesson for first time members
- One free Meet the Minis class for any child associated with your membership, e.g. grandchild.
Get Started - Attend New Volunteer Orientation
After you submit your application you will receive a Welcome note, with a link to enroll in a half day New Volunteer Orientation at Blue River Horse Center. Pick the best date for you and sign up on our Calendar (Saturdays from 10am-2pm). Please refer to our Child Volunteer Policy for ages 4-17.
Learn horse psychology and valuable leadership skills, watch a demonstration of using positive energy working with horses, and start interacting with our beautiful horses and mini-horses. We do not ride during Orientation, and there are no prerequisites. We welcome people with all experience levels. Whether you are unfamiliar with horses or an experienced horse handler, and whatever your age, from 8 to 98, you will enjoy this class.
Once you are trained, you can...
- Participate in Advanced Volunteer Training
- Improve your horse handling skills
- Assist with horse rehabilitation
- Learn groundwork, de-sensitization, communication cues
- Round pen work, bodywork and riding (optional)
- Assist participants in our public educational programs for children and adults
- Assist with educational programs attended by local non-profit organizations who partner with us to teach animal communication and leadership with horses to the children in their programs.
Fun Opportunities galore...
From May through October help with rehabilitating rescued horses and assisting participants in our educational programs. Develop relationships with other like-minded volunteers. Find your happy place:
- Assist our educational program participants (often children having their first experience with horses).
- Assist in classes with rescued and boarded horses, ponies, and mini-horses, and increase our foster care horses’ chances of being adopted.
- Learn about sustainability and assist with ranch work such as haying, flood irrigation, carpentry, animal care, or vehicle maintenance.
BRHC’s primary source of funding is our ReSaddled Thrift Store -- it’s a fun place to volunteer year round.
- You need no previous experience - we will show you around and explain what needs doing.
- We love customer-satisfaction-focused retail salespeople, and welcome volunteers with retail merchandising and/or marketing skills.
Bring your enthusiasm, prior skills and/or gain experience to add to your resume by taking volunteer positions such as:
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Community Ambassador
- Event Manager
- Marketing/Websites/Social Media
- Grant Writing
Our team is always looking for talented people to help run our non-profit
BRHC Volunteers are wonderful to hang out with!
Meet Our Volunteers and hear what they say about their BRHC experiences.
Frisco 4th of July Parade
Elks Lodge Breakfast
Children ages 4-17 are encouraged to volunteer at Blue River Horse Center.
- Children ages 4 to 17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. If a child under 18 would like to volunteer, the parent(s) must also sign up as a volunteer and go through the training program as a family.
- Children ages 4 and older may attend classes with the mini horses.
- Children ages 8 and older may enroll in New Volunteer Orientation.
- Children ages 12 and older may enroll in Advanced Training.